As of February 2020, we are open for submissions! Our list for the current year is full, but we are looking for titles to be published in 2021 and 2022. Here’s what you need to know:
Since our founding in 2010, we have mostly published work that focuses on the greater Asia-Pacific region, plus a few interesting outliers. That will continue to be the focus of Signal 8 Press. We’re especially interested in nonfiction, memoir, anthologies (please query us with a proposal if you’d like to edit one), and genre fiction. Everybody loves a good literary novel but sometimes they’re a hard sell (which isn’t to say we’d say no, just that we know the odds). We’re also open to short-story collections, but again, these can be a tough sell and we don’t publish very many of them. YA and cli-fi would be interesting, and we’re always happy to see work from and about the LGBT+ community.
What we’re not looking for: poetry, drama, picture books, cookbooks, children’s books, sexpat memoirs. We’re also not keen to replicate anything we’ve already published, so if you’ve written a great book about teaching English in Korea, we’ve kind of covered that already. If you’re not sure, please query us. We’d love to hear from you!
Something new for 2020:
In 2021, we intend to launch an LGBTQ-focused imprint called Gutter Stars Press. There will be no regional focus, but the work should (obviously) center queer experience, regardless of where it is set. Although there are a few good LGBTQ presses out there, most of them specialized in certain types of literature: poetry, erotica, lesbian writing, etc. Strangely, there isn’t a more “mainstream” one at the moment, and we think there is room in the market for that. As with S8P, we have our likes and interests (see above). We are also open to the idea of reprints, and we will transfer some of our S8P backlist over to the new imprint sooner or later. Sometime later this year, we will set up a separate website. In the meantime, if you’re interested, please email us at gutterstarspress [at] gmail [dot] com.
- See the PayPal payment button? Like many small presses, we have instituted a submission fee to help compensate us for the time and effort it takes us to read manuscripts. Our fee is a reasonable US $15.00, which seems to be the standard. (Some charge as much as $45.00, so we don’t think ours is too much.) If we end up accepting your book for publication, we will refund the fee in your first royalty check.
- Once you have made the payment, please email us your manuscript as an attachment. Send it to signal8press [at] gmail [dot] com. (We are not going to email you if we receive a payment but no email.) In your cover email, make sure to include the date and the transaction number from PayPal.
- Manuscripts should be set up according to these specifications:
- Microsoft Word documents (no PDFs, please)
- 12-point standard font
- 1.5 or double spacing
- Margins of 1 inch on each side
- Left justified, ragged right
- Generally tidy and professional, but don’t go overboard with the specifics. Title, name, email address, page numbers, and word count are enough. At this stage, we aren’t printing these documents out.
- Once we have your manuscript, we will reply and let you know.
- We will attempt to respond within six months. If you haven’t heard anything from us after that, please send a follow-up email. (People who query too soon do not improve their chances.)
- As much as we’d like to, we cannot provide feedback if we have to pass on your book.
Thanks for your interest in publishing with us!